Saturday, November 26, 2005

Rain - How to Keep Busy!

Okay, so Sunday was the start of almost a week of rain and some heavy downpours at times. But, we found new ways to amuse ourselves by playing card games including a slightly dangerous one with spoons. Let me tell you the competition comes out even more when a group of backpackers are stuck inside on a usually beautiful sunny island. We had some fun with our new friends. Vara's Backpackers is a pretty nice place, especially the beach we are situated on right in Muri Lagoon.

We met some Kiwi's (New Zealanders) who are here for a big outrigger canoe week of races. So we got our first experience viewing the shorter race on Monday with some semi-crappy weather. Looks like EXTREMELY hard work and evidently daily training. And, I thought our dance rehearsal schedules could be bad! A great group of people involved in this team (and I definitely mean the great women - the better halves!) So we have a few connections for when we arrive in New Zealand now! Went back out to RSA for some socializing and drinking, fun night. Oh, the stars here are so visible, so many, and so gorgeous!

Had a yummy steak dinner at Whatever Bar in town (Carrie was especially excited!) but we (well I've) been trying to cook most of our meals to save money. Basic but good enough to satisfy! Of course we have supplemented with some local restaurants here and there. A good toasty (grilled cheese) at Paulina's and drinks at Trader Jacks to watch a swimming race on Thursday. My swim coach Dad would be proud of me for watching and our friend Guy won the race too! Not sure how far but the water was very choppy and it looked far to me! Let's just say they all looked really tired!

Wednesday they had sprint canoe races right here in our lagoon which would have been more fun if the weather hadn't been trying to become a cyclone! I made us a good chicken stir fry for dinner with rice that warmed up our bodies from being soaked most of the day. And a bit of wine to warm us as well!

We rented bikes with our friend Heikki (from Finland) and road around the island (32 km) in a few hours. We got a bit of rain but it was a fun time and good to be so active after being stuck in the rain.

Our new friend Sara (living in Singapore but originally from England) came out with us for a GREAT dinner at the Flame Tree restaurant by our lodging. mmmm, island veggie soup and fish satay (with some taste of the beef curry) turned out to be our Thanksgiving dinner. Yummy! I must say it's the first time probably ever that I haven't baked a good cherry or apple pie for Thanksgiving!

We did some sunning and swimming Friday because it finally cleared up! YEAH! This Friday we were up for going out for the party night of the week. Met up with some of our new Kiwi friends and I got some dancing in at Banana Court (fun). Oh, a popular beer to drink here is Steinlager and it comes in this monster size they call the Big Kahuna. Carrie and I shared the sucker or we would get way too drunk.

It's a beautiful day again and we are off to Aitutaki (another Cook Island) for five days before returning and then heading to New Zealand on Dec. 3. I can't believe it's almost December! I'll keep you posted when I can (probably when we return here for our last two days in the Cook Islands. We are enjoying ourselves and taking care of each other!

1 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I pull in the driveway and see your car, I expect to see you, but when I open the freezer and don't see any ice cream I know you're gone. Come home soon.
Doug
By the way, the pantry is getting sparse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home