Friday, November 11, 2005

Petting Sharks & Stingrays



Okay, I decided to go ahead and try snorkeling again - hoping this time I could figure out the breathing and not hyperventilate. I went with a guy who was recommended through my friend Marie's contacts. Carlos Ayolo is his name and the snorkeling trip was INCREDIBLE! I was a bit nervous but they were very cool and told me just to take deep breaths. Okay, so the first bit I used the little floaty thing because I was nervous but I soon took it off and felt comfortable. I've always loved the water and marine life has intrigued me since I was young, I even remember thinking of becoming an oceanographer way back. The fish we saw were just so varied and beautiful, including so many that I can't remember the names but we did see an octopus, lobster (so cool how they zip along backwards and fast as can go!), nurse shark and stingray (both of which I touched!), and wow just too many. The nurse shark was course like a light sand paper on top but softer underneath and the stingray was very smooth - and huge too!

After snorkeling in Hol Chan and Shark Alley we were on our way back when Carlos spotted some manattees so we stopped and actually found them. There were two and they were so big and just beautiful to me. It's strange because they are big and oddly shaped and they are mottled looking BUT when you see them together swimming in the ocean it is an experience I will never forget. I felt so honored to be so close and share just a moment or so before they left us on our own. All in all the trip was great and I'm considering doing another one on Monday.

After sitting on the beach a bit and coming down from my snorkeling high I decided to clean up and try this cute little rooftop restaurant right by my hotel between Front and Middle Streets. Did I mention the main streets are Front, Middle, and Back? Love it! I was the only customer at Marin's Restaurant and I had some great Garlic Fish, yummy! The I & I Reggae bar is right next door but I didn't visit since I had to get up early to go on the tour to Altun Ha, a small Mayan site not too far away on the mainland. I think that tour will have to be another posting! Oh, I forgot that I walked down to the Lazy Lizard bar at the split to catch the sunset and a Belikin beer (local Belizean beer, not bad).

I have been enjoying the sun, still not used to it coming from Costa Rica! Don't worry I'm using protection, no skin cancer for me! :) There is a lot more to Belize that I would like to discover too, this trip will probably give me a great idea of where I have to go back and spend more time!

I still miss Costa Rica, but again I think it's partly because of the people I met there. I vow to go back and see more of the country, one week is definitely not enough time. Especially, considering the road system/public transportation! :) So to my new friends there (Alex, I now have it in writing you said I could crash with you), expect me to return, but probably not until I finish the planned itinerary.

Pura Vida (as they say in Costa Rica)!

1 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer: I'm Lee's friend MaryBeth.Great travelouge...I too am a Carlos fan, been out with him several times...he's a small town favorite. Continued good luck and traveling mercies to you. MB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home