Tuesday, November 01, 2005

First Stop - San Jose, Costa Rica

Well, I arrived safely after a sleepless (unless you count 30-40 minutes) night before my departure from VA to National Airport. Thanks again to Doug for dropping me off so damn early! Again, it has shown me that I'm STILL not a morning person.

So the hostel I picked yesterday off the Internet, Kabata, is in a good area of San Pedro that is pretty safe and the owners are a really nice young Tico couple with a new baby, 3 months! I had the dorm room to myself when I first arrived and I don't see anymore bags or anything in my room. So, I might have it all to myself. Looks like they have about 3 or 4 dorm rooms. Breakfast is included so I'll experience it tomorrow.

Johnette's contact Drew met me here late afternoon and it was so nice to have someone to connect with upon arrival. I think I would have felt a bit alone without his and his family's graciousness. His wife has a cute flower shop in the area and I met two of their daughters at different times during the day. It truly was a lovely day and I appreciate his willingness to hang out with a complete stranger. The entire family was so warm and gave me all sorts of information to help me plan the rest of my time here. And, when I return to San Pedro on Monday they invited me to come over for dinner (or go out). Of course, I have a freakin early flight again to Belize (6:50 a.m.).

It amazes me to find people like this family and others when I'm so alone. There are people you meet who are so open and warm that it pretty much shocks yo. But at the same time it just allows you to take a deep breath, exhale, and relax. These are probably the experiences that change you the most, not what you see of the country but the actual people you meet.

I plan to go to Monteverde Cloud Forest tomorrow afternoon and stay at Pension Santa Elena for at least two days. Then probably take a bus to Puntarenas and ferry to Montezuma but I plan to get some advice from Drew's friend in Monteverde/Santa Elena before making a final decision. I just heard the weather isn't great in Monteverde but I think I'll just stick with my initial idea and see what happens.

I think I have to sleep now. Pura Vida!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home