Wednesday, November 16, 2005

So Long Belize, Hello LA for about 24 Hours

Thanks to Lee for her great conversation at Coco Loco Cafe & Art Gallery, mmmm that mint tea with red hibiscus juice is to kill for! And the artwork is beautiful, too bad I'm saving my money and trying not to buy much so early in the trip. No Belizean artwork for now but she has a web site too so....maybe when I return (www.caribbean-colors.com).

I found many things interesting about Belize:
  • 3-wheeled bikes used to carry stuff around or sell things on the street
  • Caye Caulker bakery - the smell drifting alone the street enticing me again and again to come in and buy a yummy sweet bread
  • Rasta guys hanging out on the street obviously looking to pick up some women (hmmm, do you think they have a job because they always seemed to be at the same place just hangin)
  • Local restaurants on side streets with great food but not a lot of people (well, tourist season doesn't really kick off for a week or two)
  • Golf carts instead of cars everywhere on the island (along with bicycles too)
  • Small graveyard next to my hotel - The Tropical Paradise (similar to in Tonga where cement caskets are above ground)
  • The deserted looking south end of the island with some fancy houses but not many people yet
  • The main street names: Front, Middle, Back
  • People crowding around when marine taxis come in to try to get you to stay at a particular hotel
  • Transplants/Expatriots who live there from all over the world
  • Great tour guides who seem to really appreciate the nature and what they do (Thanks to Carlos Eco Tours and Anwar Tours)
  • Much, much, more

Ahhh, I left my laid back life in Belize for the past week behind me to head to Miami and then LA. Hmmm, yeah that doesn't make much sense but I guess that's why it was cheaper! So, I really enjoyed my week of mostly solitude on Caye Caulker although I met some interesting people (transplants, locals, and travelers passing through). I was worried about having a week to chill so much by myself but I have to say that I enjoyed the time to myself. I still missed my new friends in Costa Rica but it was good to have some time to reflect and chill before meeting up with Carrie for the rest of our adventures.

Oh, and I'm already hoping to extend my trip to be at least a full six months so I would come home May 1 or so. That of course depends on my money situation at the end of my trip. But, I can't resist meeting my new friends in Germany and France. Heck, you only do this once right? Don't worry Dad, I'm sure I won't stay away forever! :)

5 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger me said...

Jenn,
It sounds like you are having a blast!!! Good for you! Your blog is coming along nicely. I am glad you are able to keep it up to-date with all your activities! I just got back from the BVI's and I had a blast. I was thinking about you and your travels and how I wish I could be doing the same thing.... Have fun. I look forward to your next posts!!!

David

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger Cream said...

Keep going, girl! Lucky you to visit Coco Loco and Lee!
One day, maybe!

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn,

I looked at your amazing photos and awesome blog today-- I am so happy for you to be having such wonderful adventures. I just got home from the Harvard/Montreal conference trip. It went pretty well and now I'm looking forward to settling in my new life in Philly. Tia's coming for Xmas! I've been back to the island again since I saw you last... homesickness... Please give it a wave for me from the Cook Islands! I love ya!

xox, Nicole

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Caribbean Colors Belize said...

Hey Jennifer, nice meeting you too, I can't wait to read about your next adventures!
--Lee

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JR -
Love the pics! Your trip is getting more and more interesting as you go along.

POL 20 is in the books (or almost) and now we're planning POL 21 (San Diego) and POL 22 (east coast - FL not MD). Definitely not as much fun as your trip.

Btw, Erik and his wife had a baby boy today - 9 lbs+; named him Harrison Alexander. Sounds like a good name for a victorian romance novel don't you think???

Take care - enjoy the mainland when you return next week.
Cj

 

Post a Comment

<< Home