Sunday, November 20, 2005

Cook Islands - Rarotonga w/Carrie

So one thing that all three of the places I've traveled so far have something odd in common - lots of stray dogs! They are all pretty friendly, but I guess I would be too if I was trying to get food from tourists. I met up with Carrie at the LAX airport, she was attempting to sleep. Our flight was pretty uneventful despite me thinking I lost my passport when we had to disembark in Tahiti before going on to Rarotonga. Phew, luckily I left it at the security station when we went through.

We arrived to a sunny day in the morning on Nov. 17 and as luck would have it they put us in a private 2 person room because they filled the dorm. But, since we had reservations we only had to pay the dorm rate! Had most of the day to laze on the sand, although I had a run in with a dog or rather he ran over my head. The water is so clear and warm and it was nice to have Carrie's company. We ended up having a yummy dinner nearby where I tried the Tuna Ika Mata (kind of like ceviche with a coconut/lime flavor) and it was awesome!

We headed from Vara's Beach House (our accommodations) to Island Night at the Staircase Bar in town (Avarua) for a local dance/singing show. It was great and cute because the dancers were all students and a few were obviously just learning! The focus is to get the kids to learn about their heritage. Very fun, and we had some dancing after with locals and fellow tourists. Fun night! Friday we ended up going snorkeling and saw some pretty cool fish. Went out to see the blessing of the canoes for a big race going on this week. Crews come from New Zealand, Hawaii, Tahiti, etc. to compete in the outrigger canoe races with one person and six-person races. Actually had a good steak dinner too, yummy. Wow was I full though.

Went to the local market on Saturday and had the most freakin incredible banana muffin with cream, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Went ahead and booked a trip to another itsland called Aitutaki which is supposed to have an incredible lagoon. Oh, did I mention there are quite a lot of men who dress like women here on the island? I know there was a particular name for them in Tonga but my friend Jen will have to remind me.

So, I made us some dinner at home last night - nice veggie pasta dish with lots of garlic. The big night was heading to the Staircase again but this time for Raro Idol (yes, same idea as American Idol). It was the finals so we only had five contestants but they did two songs each, one in English and the other in Cook Islands Maori. More dancing too but our group ended up missing the bus so we had to pay for a taxi.

Waking up this morning to pouring rain made us decide not to go to church this morning. A few brave souls from Vara's went out and said it was pretty cool! So this is a lazy day here and we are all checking the weather and hoping it's wrong. Cross your fingers for us!

Miss you all!

4 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jenn! We love & miss ya! Sydney is getting her 1st tooth in-front bottom left tooth. She also had pink eye last week and her 1st ear infection this week. But she's doing fine. She loves looking at the photo album you gave her. We're working on her saying your name :) You're missing lots of fun, but sounds like you're having an incredible time. Keep the entries coming. Love you, D,D,S,B,B
PS-We received your package yesterday. It is still unopened in your room-although the suspense is killing us :)

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn ~ Happy Thanksgiving from Joan and Dad. We'll be thinking of you. Will you be doing a lattice top pie for someone's Thanksgiving dinner? Keep having a wonderful time. Jr

 
At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jenn!
I'm loving your travel stories. I wish I could be bother to update my blog when I was away. Nevermind. Keep on having fun and keep in touch!

Ax

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn,

I'm glad you had an exotic Thanksgiving-- most likely better than the drama-filled holiday at my place last year! btw, in HI the men as women are called "mahu," perhaps there it's similar? Love you much!

xox, Nicole

 

Post a Comment

<< Home