Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Last Night in Paris & End of Trip

I arrived safely in Paris five hours later, trains really are great for travel in Europe (heck in SE Asia too!). I relaxed a bit and checked email to find out if Carrie was still around and where in France she had ended up after Nice. Pedro decided we should go out for a nice French dinner since we had been cooking at home (well let's say Rebecca had) most nights. So, we headed down stairs and just around the corner to Table d'Hote where we tried the special of fettucine with a cream sauce, ham, and salmon. I would never have put the ham and salmon together but it was great. For dessert (yes of course I had to!) I tried the strawberries in wine. Mmmmm, more wine!

We attempted to catch a movie on the Champs Elyssees but we were too late, yes everyone eats late in Europe. So, instead we had a drink at a little bar we found on our walk and came home not too worse for wear. Sunday morning Pedro made us all eggs and before long I was saying goodbye to my friends and catching a taxi as I decided to splurge on the transportation back to the airport. The rain had arrived and I was weary of taking three metro lines to arrive at least an hour later (with my pack).

So, my Icelandair flight went first to Rejkavik (3 hours) and on to Baltimore-Washington airport (6 1/2). The first leg went quickly but the last one felt like days! Of course the audio was messed up on my side of the plane so I couldn't hear the movie or listen to music. My legs were so cramped and annoyed at being stuck under the seat for so many hours with only a few bathroom/toilet breaks. Ah, well I must say I forgot all about it when my brother and his husband Scott were waiting for me when I came out. YEAH!

I am so glad I did this trip but I felt ready to come home. I did a count and in total I visited 16 different countries in 5 1/2 months. Wow, yes I am exhausted! And, how great to see my friends Dana & Doug and their daughter Sydney (my surrogate niece). I mean who couldn't be happy to arrive home to friends, family, and laughing baby girl giving you hugs! This is home for certain.

Next post I'll give you an update on adjusting to being home, etc. Again, I want to thank every person who shared their time, knowledge, homes, and friendship along the way. I met some incredible people and even those I don't continue to keep in touch with have affected my life in some way. Thanks also to my friends and family at home who sent emails of support, read my blog, and thoughts of who kept me sane during some crazy times. Love to everyone!

3 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jen! I am so happy for you that you've had such successful adventures and I look forward to sharing the details some time sooner than later. Welcome Home! xoxox, Nicole

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home renny jivers - Can't wait to talk. Love Dud

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Jen - congratulations! - You did it! - around the world in 180 days! Good to have you back home. Now on to your next adventure...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home