Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Ko Chang - Island Paradise

The taxi from the ferry took us to Lonely Beach where we planned to meet America Mike from our Chiang Mai trek. Found a hut to rent out along with our Dutch friends but it felt like a bit of a rush with everyone hopping off the taxi in search of rooms. It is a pretty busy island I guess so the rooms do fill up quickly. We stayed on Ice Beach right across from the massage place right on the water. Went to the Treehouse restaurant which was so chill, all built out over the rocks right on the water. They are moving it to a different part of the island after this season so I don't think they are keeping up so well with repairing the wood floor boards, just have to watch your step or oops down to the rocks. Okay, it's really only a few feet down. Gorgeous sunsets from our first night there. Most of the tables are low and you sit on mats with pillows. Very relaxed and chill with music to keep you groovy. We tried the BBQ snapper which was incredible, mmm nothing like fresh fish on the barbie!

After two nights of the hut with it's own bathroom we decided to go economical and only pay 200 baht instead of 400 to have a hut right on the water but with a shared bathroom. Not exactly a bathroom like in the U.S. Especially the shower which mostly consisted of a cement room with a trough for water and a plastic bucket to pour the water over yourself. Ah, nature. Timing was not the best because the night we switched I ended up getting some really serious food poisoning (think it was from some seafood pad thai at another place we went for lunch). So the private bathroom would have been really nice. But, I survived and Martin got me some medicine (antibiotics, rehydration packs, pain med) from the local health clinic. So I took it easy that day and slept in a hammock at Treehouse quite a bit. Not too bad I guess for being sick. I even had one piece of toast for breakfast and soup for dinner. Mmm, mmm, good but not Campbells. No spicy food (which I've been loving) or Singha (Thai) beer either! Damn!

We did take a scooter out the following day as I was partially recovered by then. Hit a beautiful waterfall at the National Park, Klong Plu Falls. The water was cool for swimming but great in the hot weather and for a bit it was even secluded until some loud - I hate to say it - America and German tourists showed up. Next a trip to the Bang Bao pier where they have little shops set up all along the pier. I got a little something for you there Shannon! You guessed it a beautiful fresh fish, hope it arrives okay. :) We also made it to the gates of some fancy resort but didn't want to pay money to get inside for a look (cheap tourists huh!).

The days mainly consisted of a yummy breakfast of porridge with boiled bananas, omelette, or pancake like crepe with bananas. Yes, you are sensing a banans breakfast theme on my part. And, Martin wouldn't be able to start the day without a Chai tea. I have to admit they were pretty delicious and I also got addicted after awhile. We considered kayaking but somehow never got up the energy. The torture of days on the beach, or in the shade sipping a fruit shake or beer when I wasn't sick. Lots of reading, writing, talking, sunning, eating and just relaxing. I really enjoyed being in one place for at least a week!

Carrie was going to meet me in Ko Chang but she decided to go on her own to Phuket and Phi Phi for a bit. Martin headed back to Bangkok on Friday, January 27 and I stayed until Sunday. My last two nights on the island I had a Thai massage right by the water and the second one I was the only person and it was sunset. Just gorgeous! The day I left it was sweltering hot, I was not a pretty sight by the time I got from the taxi, to ferry (which turned out to be some "cruise" boat that was more like a fishing boat), to the VIP bus, and finally to arrive in Bangkok. I met up with a nice girl in Ko Chang, Eileen, and rode back on the bus with her so we shared a room and hung out Sunday night around Khao San Road. Evidently it was even crazier that night because it was also Chinese New Year which they evidently celebrate here too. We decided to get facials as I had a massage the previous two nights. It was pretty interesting, lots of weird stuff on my face and odd tools that I couldn't see.

On Monday I went in search of a new guesthouse as the Sawasdee House was terribly loud the night before. I went to a place that was recommended, AT Home Guesthouse, and it's great! I decided to spend the day just walking around, eating at the veggie restaurant across the street, and shopping. Carrie was to meet me that night at Sawasdee House but we had some mixup with info and email communication. Luckily, I sent her the new guesthouse info as well so she met me back there. Unhappily, I left my camera on the table outside the guesthouse when I went in to check the email one last time to check on Carrie. And, it was gone and with it all of my photos from Thailand because I had planned to burn them on CD today (Tuesday, Jan. 31). I have to say I'm still really devastated by it but as I told my brother it could be much worse, at least we are all safe and healthy. I'm hoping to get some photos from others on our trip and Carrie has some from Chiang Mai until she left to go another way. We did go out for a big thing of ice cream which helped temporarily and then a beer and a little dancing, also only helped temporarily.

My optimistic nature was truly hoping someone would turn it in but I guess that's just silly. So, I have to buy another camera today and they run about the same as at home. Too bad I couldn't just get the thief to leave the memory card huh! I think as well as buying a new camera I might treat myself to a pedicure and some Mango with sticky rice for dessert. Stay tuned for Cambodia - The Crowd at Angkor Wat and beyond.

2 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sucks about the camera, Jenn! Hopefully, as you say, you'll be able to get a lot of photos from others in your group.

Although I don't commment much, I'm really enjoying all of your adventures, and reading the blog faithfully.

Thanks for taking the time to write it and let us all live vicariously through your adventures!

All is well on this end. -Denise

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That goes for me, too--I'm a faithful reader.

Meanwhile, Denise is still trying to explain that gorilla novel to rest of us! :)

--Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home