Sunday, January 29, 2006

Chiang Mai Times Continue

A few days of exploring more of Chiang Mai for some of the trekking crew. We all went on Sunday for a drive on some scooters (don't worry dad I didn't drive and Martin is an "excellent driver") up the mountain to Doi Suthep again. Saw the temple again, can't get enough spiritual times you know! Sadly to see, they have an elephant chained by the wall at the base of the temple. It just keeps swaying back and forth lookin like it wants to be free or at least able to do some trekking right? Hell, I suppose the alternative could be worse - I can't say I know the whole story. Then back down to chill at the Waterfall restaurant for a great view and some food and drink.

On the way back Martin and I got a flat tire, thanks to it not happening on the mountain. A nice tuk tuk driver drove me, while Martin precariously drove behind, to a repair shop. Some nice Thai boys fixed it for us and got shy when Martin wanted to take a photo. So, on our way again to find a yoga place which we never actually went to take a class. Too lazy I guess. Great day despite the mishap with the tire, could have been worse right?

All of us headed out to the Sunday market right down the street and it was a blast. Street entertainment, curious and good food, crafts and clothes, and much more! Of course some of the guys decided to try the fried grasshopper although they didn't go for the maggots or locusts. I decided on the more normal options of pancake on a stick (with a jelly or chocolate face filling), hot waffle, pad thai (of course), fresh beetroot and orange juice, and more I'm sure. Too many too remember, we really ate! The crafts including jewelry, clothes, purses, and too many to list were gorgeous. This is one time I wish I wasn't traveling so long so I could really stock up on some cool stuff. Minimal is key when carrying your crap around with you for six months!

Some of the crew decided to move on to Pai on motorcycles (yes, Carrie included of course!). I on the other hand, decided to stay in one place for a bit and really see the town, and hang out with my friends as well. So Carrie (on the back of Andrew's motorcycle) and Mike from Canada rented motorbikes and left Monday afternoon. That's a story Carrie will have to tell but let's just say somebody fell off the motorcycle (okay I should say it wasn't Carrie in case the Mongers read this and get worried). This was of course after we all drove up the mountain again for kicks and then on to the Snake Farm.

This was a trip for certain, there was a ring set up where the snake handlers "played" with the snakes, and dangerous ones they were! The other funny thing was the announcer who kept this continuous litany of commentary but all in about the same tone. I can't even remember all the poisonous ones they were handling but the really fast smaller ones were all over the place. I swear that one of the snakes was so close to me that I couldn't even move (yes the guys decided I should sit on the bottom right next to the ring). Guess I proved them I was the brave one huh! The last snakes were announced as being jumping snakes and two handlers were messing around in the box attempting to get it out when all of a sudden they threw it out into the audience. Okay, turns out they threw a piece of rope but it sure made that section of the crowd practically jump off the bleachers entirely. Of course we can say that we wouldn't have jumped since it didn't happen to our section. Finally, they brought out a python and I they put it around my neck and I kissed it. Carrie supposedly got a photo but not sure which camera. Can't wait to see that one. After the show we looked at the "farm" portion which housed a number of different animals including snakes, birds, and a monkey. I was so disappointed in tourists when I saw some trash in the monkey's cage and two people (I do think I heard them speak French) give him gum between the bars while they laughed. Are people really such asses? Guess so.

The Pai Motorcycle gang of three headed out and the rest of us went with John to watch him bungee jump. Can't believe a Kiwi comes to Thailand to bungy, I mean they started it and have three great ones to choose from in NZ. It wasn't very high but he was the only one to attempt it so kudos to him. We vainly attempted to find some waterfall and then back home to chill and go out with Michiel (Dutch) for his last night with us before heading to Laos. Again, a chill night but we had some laughs at the restaurant near Thapae Gate. The lady boys (oh, have I described this phenomenon yet?) who were waiters were barely understanding English and making us laugh. So, a lady boy is basically a boy who dresses like a girl - like a transvestite back home. There are quite a few in Thailand, some who are really great looking and probably can and have fooled some Western men. :)

Our last full day in Chiang Mai was spent driving up to DoiSuthep to try to find some shirts like Martin's (such a trendsetter that guy!). Of course the women there were actually kind of mean when we tried to bargain with them where they usually have a bit of fun with it in other places. I think because Martin was just tired of it he got us a good deal so we each bought one! Good thing we aren't traveling together for too long. he hee, we'd look like some kind of gang. Not a very tough gang of course. Later that evening we ate at a cool veggie restaurant near Thapae Gate and the moat called Aum which also served as a used book store. Excellent food, I think Adam and I had the best dish. A northern specialty but don't ask me what was in it. Just lick your lips and imagine goodness.

Martin and I attempted to find this lake that was described as picturesque with the mountain behind it but mostly we found some small body of water with nothing really pretty about it and lots of dirt paths. We did find Lanna Park IV where the tribal museum is located (no we didn't do the tourist thing and visit) and a lake with shanty type restaurants set up all along the banks. We decided to stop for a drink and luckily not more because everything was in Thai and our servers didn't know any English. I did get some green water which turned out to be Fanta while Martin tried out the Singha beer (Thai). The drive was a bit out of the city and it was a beautiful day. The Pai crew returned that afternoon with Carrie frantically trying to figure out how to get her passport to Chiang Mai the next morning before 10am. We had left them with a travel agent in Bangkok to get our Vietnam visas since we didn't have any plans to leave the country. Turns out the owner of the guesthouse where we stayed got two travelers going to Chiang Mai on the overnight train to bring her passport. So the next morning she had to get to the railway station by 8:30 to meet them. Of course it all worked out fine and they left in a minibus. You'll have to read Carrie's blog (camjourney.blogspot.com) to find out about the rest of her time in Thailand.

We all had one last dinner out at Riverside but an early one for most of us. Next day the Kiwi's and Carrie left and those of us left (Martin, Mike from Canada, and Jenn) hung out until we caught the 4pm sleeper train. Ah, the sleepr train this time was a blast. I liked the 2nd class cars (about 20-40 beds in each car) with the fans. I actually felt less motion sickness because I was able to sit facing the direction we were headed. We hung out for a bit in the restaurant car where the music was BLARING and the Singha beer kept coming. A French couple ended up dancing in the aisle and we just kept laughing. Then back to the seats which were already turned into beds by now. So we played our game of Shithead, aided by a Dutch guy we met named Bart, for a bit before heading to sleep. I didn't actually sleep too much because we were right by the door between cars and the bathroom but I enjoyed myself anyway.

After arriving in Bangkok we hung with Mike and David (another Canadian and an organic farmer we nursed a bit on the train, some food poisoning most likely). The dutch couple decided to join our Ko Chang contingent (Martin and myself) to take the VIP bus which is a double decker bus and is pretty comfortable. Just don't think about using the toilet, especially near the end of the 6 hour trip. We did have one stop for lunch along the way but I got at least three hours sleep (YEAH!). Then we took the ferry over to Ko Chang.

My next installment will be on the trip to Ko Chang and my time there which I can tell you in preview was wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home